Statistics show that stomach cancer is a quarter as common as it was 70 years ago, today over 20 000 cases are being diagnosed per year in USA.
It is important to know that when the cancer is revealed at his early stages and development the chances of survival are 90 %, but often times, knowing that this disease spreads in the stomach, people rarely notice them and when it comes to the advanced stage, the treatment is nearly impossible and the chances lower till 3 %.
Additionally, there are factors and signs that your body shows in order for you to detect them as sooner as possible.
American Cancer Society published the list of stomach cancer symptoms and according to them, they are:
- discomfort or pain in the abdomen
- indigestion or heartburn
- vomiting and nausea
- constipation or diarrhea
- weakness and fatigue
- bloating of the stomach after meals
- loss of appetite
- bleeding (having blood in the stool or vomiting blood)
Factors that increase your risk of stomach cancer include:
- Pernicious anemia.
- A diet high in salty and smoked foods.
- A diet low in fruits and vegetables.
- Eating foods contaminated with aflatoxin fungus.
- Family history of stomach cancer.
- Stomach surgery
- Helicobacter pylori bacteria